1. It is often thought that Hypnosis is sleep, because your eyes are closed during a Hypnosis session. Hypnosis is NOT sleep. You are awake during Hypnosis. Your mind is actually in a heightened state of awareness during Hypnosis. In fact, you are able to access information from your subconscious mind and your higher mind through Hypnosis that you generally do not have access to.
2. People often fear that they might not be able to awaken from Hypnosis. You are NOT asleep during Hypnosis. There has never been a documented case of someone who has not come out of Hypnosis.
3. It is often thought that Hypnosis is dangerous and can harm your mind. Hypnosis is similar to when you are watching a movie and are engrossed in it or when you are engrossed in a book that you are reading. We go into a similar state several times throughout the day naturally. It actually strengthens your mind and concentration.
4. People often think that Hypnosis is related to the Occult and Dark Arts. This is totally false. Hypnosis is a SCIENCE that is practiced by many reputable professions. Its use in medicine was approved by the British Medical Association in 1955 and by the American Medical Association in 1958. It is also approved and endorsed by the American Dental Association and the American Psychological Association.
5. People often think that they cannot be hypnotized. Actually, there are only 4 types of people who cannot be hypnotized, and they are:
- Mentally challenged people
- Small children with short attention spans
- People who are under the influence of alcohol
- People who think that they cannot be hypnotized or do not want to be hypnotized.
I have used Self-Hypnosis for everything from healing myself and others, exploring my past lives, astral travel, visiting loved ones who have passed away, accessing my Akashic Records, meeting my spirit guide, to holding meetings with the Archangels and Ascended Masters, and for many other issues.
According to Clinical Care Network in Warren, Michigan, the following are some of the most common issues that Hypnosis has been successfully used for:
- Stopping smoking
- Losing weight and weight management
- Controlling and eliminating pain
- Eliminating fears and phobias
- Improving self esteem
- Controlling and eliminating stress and anxiety
- Accelerating learning (easy learning, test taking, and memory recall, etc.)
- Improving sports performance
- Improving creativity
- Changing unwanted behaviors
- Past Life Regression
According to Clinical Care Network, the following are some other areas in which Hypnosis is used successfully:
- To help people get comfortable during M.R.I. procedures
- To help people feel comfortable about getting blood work done
- To minimize and/or alleviate side effects of Chemotherapy and Radiation
- To alleviate anxiety and comfort before and after surgery
- Hypno-birthing (To help mothers have a comfortable pregnancy)
- Hypnodontics (To help people eliminate fear, pain, etc. while at the dentist office)
Hypnosis has been used successfully in many more ways than this. This is only a small list. You may seek out a professional Hypnotherapist to help you with your issues, or you can do Self-Hypnosis. You can learn Self-Hypnosis through Hypnosis schools. Some require you to attend classes in a classroom, but there are also home study courses available. There are also many CD's and downloads available for specific issues that you may try.
Hypnosis is a valuable tool and a very beneficial healing modality that can improve our lives and bring awareness to us. It is simply a method of using relaxation and our mind to overcome issues. As they say, "mind over matter".